Thursday, April 10, 2008

Shopping for a GPS & a few more finds...

A few days ago I decided to go ahead and purchase a handheld GPS unit. After looking around a little bit trying to decide, I ended up with a Magellan Triton 200. I'm having a heck of a time figuring it out... I can't get the drivers to load into my computers (we tried it on 2 different computers) so I can't get the computer and GPS to connect.

I have gone and found a couple of Geocaches using it trying to see how accurate it was. I have to say where I was looking, the Google maps were easier for me to use to find things. However, using the GPS, the coordinates were right on for the caches I've found. There are a couple more that I got very close to according to the GPS, but there was a police officer parked right next to one and pond and a fence in between me and the other. So I'll have to go back for both of those.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to keep this Magellan or take it back and get something else. If you visit and have an opinion on any of the GPS units, please feel free to use the comment link and share your thoughts with me.

Found in the last few days:
  • Stars and Stripes: Flying High
    My 9 yr old found it easily since we'd seen this type of hide before. However, I didn't understand the name or the hints given by others. Hmmm.... Left something.

  • For Sale...Pond complete with ducks & cranes
    Coordinates were exact according to my GPS. Found it without too much trouble other than huge spider web, thick woods and a Momma bird who didn't like me that close to her babies! Took Red Serendipity Travel Dog Bug to move along to another cache. Left USA by Madhatters Neverland Geocoin, Butterfly keychain & bookmarks.

  • Right on Target - Out in Plain Sight!
    Coordinates were exact according to my GPS. Drove right up and found it right away. It was cool camo though, wouldn't be noticed by anyone but Geocachers. Getting log back was a challenge!

2 comments:

tonka_boy said...

I like your geocaching blog. My GPSr is an old Garmin Map12, so I can't give you much advice about that. It works for us, but the newer ones are way more accurate.

I tried to subscribe to your blog using the Atom link at the bottom of the page, but had trouble. If you register your blog at Feedburner.com you can get links to put in your sidebar for people to subscribe using RSS and email. Works really well.

Cache on!

Josh said...

I, as well as many other new cachers, have asked this same question in the Groundspeak Forums. One common theme was that the the customer service with Magellan is a real bummer. I personally chose the Garmin Vista HCX. You can find it for about $200 but the map software for detailed roads and turn by turn will cost another $80. It has a goecaching mode that put the cache into a calendar entry when found making it easier to go back over the day. It also has an electronic compass and barometric altimeter. It's ability to hold 1000 waypoints keeps my GPSr full of fun and ready go. I have never regretted my Garmin purchase and I have been quite happy with it.

Geocaching With Team Hick@Heart