Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Discovering Geocaching

  • "Geocaching is an outdoor treasure-hunting game in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook and "treasure," usually toys or trinkets of little value. Today, well over 540,000 geocaches are registered on various websites devoted to the pastime. Geocaches are currently placed in over 100 countries around the world and on all seven continents, including Antarctica." From Wikipedia

I've heard about Geocaching before and it sounded like fun, but since I didn't have a GPS and I thought most people hid things in hard to find or hard to get to places, I didn't really look into it.

Tonight I was online and came upon a mention of Geocaching again so I thought I would look into it. My husband, Tim, has been wanting to purchase a portable GPS unit for his motorcycle, so I thought this might be something fun for us to do as a family and give me an excuse to want to invest in the GPS unit.

So I logged onto Geocaching.com and spent quite a bit of time reading all about it and looking around. What I discovered is that there are Geocaches EVERYWHERE! There are several right here in my suburban neighborhood in public places.

I also discovered that with Google Maps, I should be able to pinpoint some of them close enough to be able to find them. So I decided my son, JT, and I would give it a try tomorrow. He's on Spring Break and bored and this would give us something fun to do. We are headed to the Zoo tomorrow so I looked for something near there and found one that is right near the entrance so we will check it out in the morning.

I'll post here how that goes!

No comments: